Sql Server Management Studio, gave me the following error after I rebooted my computer:
The type initializer for ‘PropertyMetadataProvider’ threw an exception
I installed the windows updates and started relating the problem to the updates.
After some research I found a interesting artice in Sql Blog about the problem that states that the DLL versions of the cumulative update 4 for SQL Server 2014 had bad DLL versions.
The temporary workaround is:
1) Close all instances of Management studio and visual studio
2) Open a administrator command prompt
3) Execute the following commands :
(i) cd %WINDIR%\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo
(ii) rmdir /Q /S 126.96.36.199__89845dcd8080cc91
4. Run the SQL Server 2014 setup
5. Select the Maintenance option
7. Press the Repair link
8. Pass all the per-requirement steps and click Repair button
9. Once the repair is finished launch Management studio and the error should be fixed