A SQL Server database server with large data files, low main memory and slow data storage (disks) can compromise the performance of an application.
The solution is to add more main memory or get a fastest storage. If the data files are too large then the fastest storage is the only option.
There are solutions that really can do miracles...but at a price.
One of those solutions is the RamSan-440.
The main specifications are:
- 256GB or 512GB DDR RAM primary storage backed up by fast flash secondary storage
- Over 600,000 random I/Os per second
- 4500 MB/s random sustained external throughput
- Full array of hardware redundancy to ensure availability
- Exclusive Active Backup® software constantly backs up data without any performance degradation. Other SSDs only begin to backup data after power is lost.
- Patented IO2 (Instant-On Input Output) software allows data to be accessed during a recovery. Customers no longer have to wait for a restore to be completed before accessing their data.
With this hardware the problems are over...but when you talk to a CEO or an Administrator about the solution and the price, in most of the situations he doesn't mid to wait!!! :))
For more information press here.
You can also take a look at The Fastest Solid State Disks (SSDs)